Photo essay Soundslide (DUE 5/11/15) -no exceptions.
I. FINAL PROJECT
The Final Project is a 3-week project that requires each student to spend significant time with the chosen subject, and produce a well-crafted, in-depth photo essay in the form of a Soundslide 2:30min or less.
SUBJECT: An unseen life
Select a person of your choosing (non family member), who lives a purposeful life that we (the public) normally never see, and complete a detailed and comprehensive photo essay and soundlside presentation.
- Create a sequential, cohesive narrative of pictures and audio that tell a story, like a movie, with a beginning, middle, and end.
- Photograph your subject at length, at least 3x or for 6 hours.
- Each photo should be self-explanitory, the viewer should be able to look at each image and get it, otherwise the photo should NOT be included.
Remember, the only things a still photograph brings to a viewer are those things that are visible - what you heard, felt, thought, smelled, or cared about when you took the photo are meaningless to the viewer.
- Photos should reflect photography principles practiced in class, in terms of lighting, compostion, focus, motion, and depth of field.
- Essay must include at least one Environmental Portrait.
- Essay must include at least one Close-up of person’s face, taken within at least 3-5 feet of subject.
- Captions should be completed as per usual, but should only provide a means of supporting what is in the picture.
- The final essay should consist of at least 20 images, with an audio interview with the subject, in a finished Soundslide 2:30 or less.
- Interview with your subject, talking about their life and purpose.
- At least one piece of natural sound
- OPTIONAL: background music (be sure to give credit)
- Audio must be 2:30min or LESS.
Each final project will be graded as follows:
· (10pts) PHOTOGRAPHY
· overall quality of images
· how well were the principles learned in this course used
· quality of the editing; relativity of images selected, lack of repitition
· variety of images; vertical, establishing shots, details, etc.
· preparation of images; cropping, toning, color, white balance, etc.
· caption completeness
2. (15pts) FINISHED PRODUCT
- Soundslide quality; titles, colors, opening, closing, ID's, completeness
- Sequencing of images.
- How well criteria was met, were instructions followed.
- Strength of finished product; effectiveness as a story-telling piece
III. WHAT’S DUE
- Rename the "publish to web folder" lastname_soundslide.
- Submit this folder to the DROP, NOT the entire soundslide project.
- Be sure you've tested your soundslide (play INDEX file).You will not receive credit for any projects that do not play.
- Be sure each image has a caption.
- Make sure all the info fields in Soundslides are filled in; Headline, caption, etc.
- Give credit to any music you use.
- Be sure to start with opening title slide. If necessary include a brief explanatory text page.
- Check for typos and usage errors.
- KEEP SOUNDLSIDE PRESENTATION UNDER 2:30 MINUTES.
Please follow instructions carefully.